Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS? Can I affix a LOCKBOX to railing outside Co Op front door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS? Can I affix a LOCKBOX to railing outside Co Op front door?

I find myself in a situation that no one seems to have encountered to this point in time.

I am a 67 year old woman living alone in an Upper West Side Co Op in NYC.
    We do not have a doorman. We have an outer vestibule locked door. USPS has access to a built-into-the-wall box which contains a key allowing them to enter the building to deliver mail.

Having recently fallen and had some balance and other health issues, I decided to enroll in a Medical Alert System (Medical Guardian). If I get into trouble (fall or get sick), I push a button and help is sent. As part of the set up, I was sent a LOCKBOX which will allow first responders access to the building and my apartment in the event of an emergency. It is simply a combination lock which opens to a slot for my keys. These are all over the city, mostly used by dog walking companies. I understand that they are also a means by which the dreaded AirBnB user can gain access to the building.

About a month ago, I told my Board of Directors that I was affixing a LOCKBOX to the fence outside the building.

They wrote back and said that they have to look into the request and have asked me to affix it to the railing at the service entrance until they have determined whether I am to be allowed to leave the LOCKBOX permanently affixed to the railing. They gave me 90 days to do so, until such time that they determine if I may leave it there permanently. But, they told me to affix it at the stairs to the SERVICE ENTRANCE which is approximately 150 ft west of the front entrance. Okay, not the best solution, but I endeavored to do so.

However, at that time, there was no light illuminating the door and no signage saying SERVICE ENTRANCE. I wrote back telling the Board that until such time that they provide illumination and a sign, I was affixing it to the stair rail at the front entrance. They have since put a bulb in the overhead light fixture, but have not put up a sign. They have directed me to move the LOCKBOX to that entrance. I asked about the signage and offered to put one up for them. I asked, “without the sign, how will first responders find the entrance?”. I’m waiting for a response.

I have been told to review the Proprietary Lease to see if this is specifically mentioned and forbidden. That is a daunting task and I can certainly do that. I’m relatively certain that there wouldn’t be any such specific declaration as concerns an emergency situation. After dealing with this Board, I reckon the question is going to remain in limbo with the Board denying permission. Instead of waiting for the board to say no (if they say yes, obviously there is no issue) I am looking into the issue on my own.

I may be the first person to have this issue in my building, but I certainly won’t be the last. We are a NORC, a naturally occurring retirement community with several people in my age group who may, eventually, come to the same conclusion I have. Be prepared. Can’t depend on the Super to be available ALWAYS. This is bound to come up and if I have to be the one to fight the fight, I’m all in.

I’m wondering if you have any information or experience with this question. Or, can you point me in a direction that would allow me to discover my rights.

I appreciate any help you can send my way.

Yours truly,

Diane
Working...
X