Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much help should I expect from my managing broker in NYC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much help should I expect from my managing broker in NYC?

This is probably a question a lot of new real estate agents in NYC ask. They are all excited to join, and want to ask as many questions as possible. What is the right balance and amount of questions you should ask your manager or principal broker? Obviously you want to make the best use of your manager's time, but what if you can't figure something out yourself?

I think what most new agents fail to realize is that your relationship with your manager is similar in that you have with prospective buyers. Meaning that it should always be a win win situation. Some new agents will start on the wrong foot and have the mentality of take, take and take. Without giving anything back or adding any value.

It may be a brutal realization, but the world doesn't owe you sh*t. And that's certainly the case with prospective buyers and even your manager I'm afraid. The same logic applies when you're trying to engage a buyer lead. If you ask them a ton of questions without providing any value, your email will just be deleted. The same goes when you've just joined.

Yes you'll have lots of questions, but shouldn't you try to also respect the time of others? Especially your manager? That means you should try to read all of the training materials your manager has probably already provided you, and anything that you can't figure out from your training materials I'm 100% certain you will be able to Google and find out. Obviously it's extremely disrespectful to assume you can blast your manager with dozens of questions without bothering to read your training first. Are you saying that their time doesn't matter?

What value have you added to your new company yet?

Comment

I think it's nuts to expect someone to teach you everything and mentor you and answer a bunch of questions for no reason, especially if you haven't bothered to give anything back or even pay your first month's dues yet. Why would someone seasoned just put everything down and agree to teach you? What's in it for them?

This very basic concept of give and take is lost on a lot of young people today in my opinion. Just think about apprentices back in the day in different trades. The apprentice did not just show up and ask a bazillion questions and not bother to do any homework first. The apprentice would be fired the very first day! Instead, the apprentice tried to be as helpful as possible and as respectful as possible of the blacksmith's time. Tried not to get in the way and tried to assist. And tried to learn as they went. As the apprentice proved him or herself useful, the blacksmith was happy to teach the apprentice and involve him or her more. This was especially so as the blacksmith saw that the apprentice had potential and worked extremely hard.

This allegory needs to repeated to every young person starting a new job.

Comment

This is an example of what not to do as a new agent in NYC. Here is a chat message exchange between a buddy of mine who runs a mid sized real estate brokerage in NYC and a new agent who just associated. Names have been changed around for privacy reasons. The manager's name is Charles and the new agent is Roya.

Roya, [15.02.18 15:33]
        Hi Charles!
        Just sent you an email!

Roya, [15.02.18 15:33]
        My license is active now

Charles, [15.02.18 15:57]
        YES!

Charles, [15.02.18 16:19]
        Just sent you your corporate email setup

Charles, [15.02.18 16:20]
        and sent your set up for Nestio to your corporate email - that's our portal to the RLS

Charles, [15.02.18 16:22]
        also just sent you your first invoice, we'll start it today since you're just now officially w us

Charles, [15.02.18 17:09]
        invoice is every 30 days

Roya, [15.02.18 17:44]
        Ok thanks

Charles, [16.02.18 13:18]
        Did you set up your email and nestio yet?

Charles, [16.02.18 13:19]
        Thought you were eager to start!

Roya, [16.02.18 17:18]
        How are you? I’m so sorry! I have been running around the whole day today!! Anyway sorry I missed this! Text is the best way to ever reach me right away. I’ll set up tonight!!

Roya, [16.02.18 22:48]
        Hi Charles!
        So I have tons of questions for u! Can I come see u next week!

Roya, [16.02.18 22:49]
        I really need to set up the RLS! And send out some listing to this one lead the loan officer I know sent to me. She’s Looking in Brooklyn between 600-900k
        So..... how can I get access to this right away?

Roya, [17.02.18 11:11]
        Charles. Do you think is possible I can use your username and password fork access the mls? I’m not sure if there a Brooklyn mls? Or is the rebny good? I plan to take care of all the things for me this week - It’s been very busy for me these last few days. It would help if I can start sending listings to this client.
        Let me know if you can help me if that since I know it take a while to set up mls. Thanks

Charles, [17.02.18 11:19]
        Did you set up your email yet

Check your email - Nestio is the RLS

Pls remember to read your training

And take care of your dues!

Roya, [17.02.18 12:28]
        Ok I’ll set up today for sure

Charles, [17.02.18 13:02]
        Also, pls google rebny rls

Charles, [17.02.18 13:02]
        or manhattan mls

Charles, [17.02.18 13:03]
        there's a good hauseit article

Charles, [17.02.18 13:03]
        then set up your Nestio - (hint, that accesses the RLS - i.e. the nyc mls)

Roya, [17.02.18 13:04]
        I read that article about the Manhattan mls and Rls. But which one is use? NYC mls or rebny?

Roya, [17.02.18 13:04]
        Or both? Is there a Brooklyn mls? I’ll google too

Charles, [17.02.18 13:05]
        pls read and you'll see!

pls google!

and tell me if you see that article - i think by hauseit

Roya, [17.02.18 13:23]
        I read the article of Hausit where it says basically The difference between nyc mls and rebny. But I will deft read the training email again and oh the fee
        Once I apply for access to rls abs other mls it can take days - So just wondering if I can get access from you or someone so I can search just for this one prospect so I don’t have them waiting ? Is that possible?

Charles, [17.02.18 13:23]
        Did you set up your Nestio ..?

Roya, [17.02.18 13:24]
        No :/
        I’m gonna do it today for sure! So once I set up I’ll let u know if any more questions

Roya, [17.02.18 13:24]
        ??

Charles, [17.02.18 13:25]
        And pls read your training

Seriously. Much more efficient. All of your questions can be answered there.

I'm on road. It's weekend. Not efficient for me to text explain everything right?

Charles, [17.02.18 13:26]
        Pls pls read first.

Roya, [17.02.18 13:26]
        Ok I will - I read the first time but have to reread - Lots of planning for any

Roya, [17.02.18 13:26]
        NY

Roya, [17.02.18 13:28]
        I want to go in more prepared and NJ clients have taken my time these few days but I’m ready to do NY super ready! I plan on getting someone to help me here in NJ so I’m not super loaded and this way I can dedicate to my future NY clients

Charles, [17.02.18 13:33]
        Very cool! Pls remember to pay your dues first

Charles, [17.02.18 13:34]
        Then per the training - it's all about self reliance in this industry

Read the training - Google everything else

Anything you can't figure - ask in that forum we showed you

Roya, [17.02.18 13:54]
        Ok thanks

Charles, [18.02.18 14:18]
        Hey Rosa, just checked, seems like you still haven't activated your Nestio account?

Did you activate your corporate email yet?

From your training, you realize that Nestio is your portal to the RLS (the NYC MLS equivalent) right?

Roya, [18.02.18 14:40]
        Hey Charles. I didn’t get a chance to go last night I’ll do today. I’m still out

Charles, [18.02.18 14:42]
        Ahh okay, that's what you need to do then, its right there for you

Roya, [18.02.18 14:48]
        Ok I will for sure! ???

Roya, [19.02.18 09:47]
        Hey Charles. So I read the instructions and such. Just a quick question - If I remember you mentioned that in the $135 fee it included the Rebny? I just want to make sure I didn’t mis understand that. In the email it says that I have to pay for it? I know I had said the picture was part of the fee? But what else does the $135 fee cover? I just want to be clear on that - And I know I ask lots of questions but that’s how I am and I hope it’s not such a bother but hoping you as my broker can guide me. Trust me I learn super fast and being in nj I know what to expect but NYC is new and way more to learn I think than NJ
        So —- before applying for the RLS let me know if the $135 is part of that? Or not?
        Also .... is there a Brooklyn mls? I checked online but I got this other mls that cover Brooklyn
        The client I have is in Brooklyn and so I will need access to check there / Those are the only questions for now. I’m also gonna schedule fir the photo shoot

Roya, [19.02.18 09:48]
        ?

Charles, [19.02.18 10:06]
        Doesn't include REBNY

Charles, [19.02.18 10:07]
        That's your personal membership

If you google REBNY RLS

Actually do that - you'll see most of Brooklyn is covered

Pls remember to pay your dues before photo shoot!

Roya, [19.02.18 10:08]
        What other software dues the fee cover?

Roya, [19.02.18 10:08]
        Does

Charles, [19.02.18 10:09]
        Nestio! Per the training article

Roya, [19.02.18 10:10]
        Yeah I have to set that on my phone

Charles, [19.02.18 10:10]
        How about this - let's do a 5 min quick call later

Want to set expectations

Roya, [19.02.18 10:10]
        Ok let’s do that

It's a give and take Roya

Same w clients

I'd like to see some commitment from you first though, can you at least pay your first month dues?

Roya, [19.02.18 10:11]
        Ok let me pay that and then we can set a time to talk

Charles, [19.02.18 10:33]
        What's the best number to reach you?
        Last edited by aslan; 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Wow, you've got to be kidding me. I'm in finance and I thought our new analysts were whiny and needy. This is a whole new level. Yes, obviously this person needs a serious reality check and a talk. I hope your buddy was able to have a serious phone call with this new agent. She clearly needs to slow down. Read her training materials. Try to figure out basic questions by herself (i.e. ever heard of Google?). And generally be more resilient. I hope she figures it out. If I were her manager I would definitely not trust her to assist me on my deal. It would be easier to just do it myself without someone pestering me the entire time and adding no value. Pass!

Comment

Believe it or not. There's more. This new agent also emailed lengthy demands and lists of questions to her manager in conjunction with the spaz of texts posted above. Unreal!

----

So i just checked the site and my license has been active since 3/13/18! so not sure if maybe you got something in the mail already?

So i am ready and able to start!!!! This weekend I am booked to show homes here in NJ but starting Monday I can officially work on anything ....

I actually have a lead already that a loan officer I know gave me.

REBNY? MLS? How do I gain access to the system

I don't recall that in the email....its a lot so hopefully you can provide that info for me so I can start working on it......Also, when do I take the pic for the website?

Can you also send me the coupon for the business cards???

Thanks! Roya

Comment

Working...
            X