Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do agents typically have exclusives in commercial real estate in NYC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do agents typically have exclusives in commercial real estate in NYC?

I heard from a friend that does a lot of commercial real estate deals in NYC that quote 99% of all commercial listings are non-exclusive. They are handshake or verbal agreements to try to market the listing at best, and are basically open listings. He said that's why you'll often see 5 different brokers marketing the same building. Whoever finds a buyer can bring it to the building owner. There doesn't seem to be a MLS of any sort either. I know commercial brokers don't use the RLS (residential only), and he told me the CoStar is mainly for commercial leasing? And LoopNet while popular seems to be a sort of StreetEasy or NY Times, i.e. a consumer search portal.

Totally seems like the wild west to me. Anyone have any ideas? I had a friend who was looking at a vacant lot in the Lower East Side. It was only advertised on LoopNet. Couldn't get in touch with the so called listing broker at all. Super sketchy!

I've heard the same thing. LoopNet is basically the StreetEasy equivalent for commercial real estate. However, there isn't an equivalent RLS broker database for commercial brokers. So it becomes a true Wild West like the residential rental market. I wouldn't doubt the statistic, I've often seen commercial properties being listed by multiple brokers, which wouldn't be allowed for residential listings in the RLS (only one exclusive broker allowed).

Comment

Working...
    X