Protecting your view when you buy real estate in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting your view when you buy real estate in NYC

You're about to shell out a cool several million bucks to buy a brand new construction condo in Manhattan. But construction is happening all over the city. What's to say that great view you paid up for won't be blocked in a year's time by a new build next door?

What's the best way to protect your view when you purchase property in NYC?

Well if you wanted to be really anal you could hire a zoning lawyer to comprehensively review each block and lot in the view of the property to see if there are any contemplated new developments that will block the buyer's view. However, that sounds extremely expensive and very onerous.

Alternatively, I know TitleVest has a "Sightline" report that costs about 600 bucks and gives you a 3D rendering of the anticipated future cityscape. Lawyers have told me that it's roughly 90% accurate. So might not be a bad idea if you're paying up a lot for a nice view, to have a little piece of mind. Nothing is fully accurate however.

Comment

Originally posted by showtime View Post
      Well if you wanted to be really anal you could hire a zoning lawyer to comprehensively review each block and lot in the view of the property to see if there are any contemplated new developments that will block the buyer's view. However, that sounds extremely expensive and very onerous.

Alternatively, I know TitleVest has a "Sightline" report that costs about 600 bucks and gives you a 3D rendering of the anticipated future cityscape. Lawyers have told me that it's roughly 90% accurate. So might not be a bad idea if you're paying up a lot for a nice view, to have a little piece of mind. Nothing is fully accurate however.
      I've heard about the Sightline report. Seems like it's worth the cost if you're spending lots of money mainly for a view. I've also heard that some buildings can sell air rights to adjacent buildings/lots. Do you have any idea of the Sightline report anticipates these sorts of air rights transactions and incorporates it into their findings?

Comment

Working...
      X