What to look for in co-op house rules during due diligence in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in co-op house rules during due diligence in NYC

What do typical co-op house rules cover in NYC? What are the typical sections of a co-op house rules document?

Which sections of a coop house rules document are relevant for potential purchasers of a co op apartment to inspect?

Thank you!

The co-op house rules sets forth all the rules of the building. Look out for coop rules and regulations on the following areas:

- Laundry room
    - Use of all common areas including the hallways, gym and courtyards
    - Storage room
    - Noise
    - Construction and allowed hours of construction
    - Building exterior, signage and awnings
    - Windows
    - Floor covering, i.e. does the coop require 75/25 or 80/20 covering of the floor with carpet for soundproofing purposes
    - Garbage
    - Vermin
    - Moving
    - Guests
    - Elevators
    - Insurance
    - Packages

Comment

I would also look for special issues such as whether the co op house rules will allow you to operated a home business. Or any special coop rules and regulations around the roof, terraces and roof rights (limited common elements).

Also, you may be able to find information about alterations. For example, can you get approval prior to closing on a co op apartment? I know this is rare, but buyers often ask for it. Has anyone see a co op board agree to proposed alterations or renovations before closing?

Comment

Working...
      X