Increasing Floor Area Ratio (FAR) in an NYC apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Floor Area Ratio (FAR) in an NYC apartment

hello- we have a partial second story with a staircase that leads to the roof, but we would like to add a second floor instead of having a very high ceiling. We've spoke to an engineer that seems to think it will get approved without a problem. Does anyone have experience increasing the FAR internally, in NYC, and getting it approved? Thanks, Tom

This is definitely a tough question. Maybe some of the real estate attorneys on this forum can pitch in for this one. Assume you've already read Hauseit's guide on Floor Area Ratio (FAR) in their blog? I've included a link to it below.

Only context I have is I've heard of small time developers in Williamsburg and other parts of Brooklyn try to pull a similar trick. Guess it would depend on how high the ceilings were. Defer to the engineers and real estate lawyers on this niche topic though.
    What is Floor Area Ratio or FAR? We'll explain what this important zoning metric really means and when it will matter for NYC home buyers. We'll demonstrate a sample FAR calculation on a multi family townhouse in Brooklyn so you can see how valuable extra buildable square footage can be.

Comment

Working...
    X