How much to tip doorman NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to tip doorman NYC

Any tips from life long New Yorkers or just doorman building residents in NYC on tipping your doorman at Christmas or over the holidays generally? Any Christmas gift ideas for your doorman or is cash preferred? How much do doorman get paid? Any advice on how much to tip building staff generally?

It's really up to you and how frugal you are and how much of your building's staff services you use. I've seen residents pay $20 to each of the staff, though $100 each may be more common. Often times the building will pool together the contributions from everyone and pay it in one lump sum. I've seen some buildings do this out of the operating budget, subject to board approval. That's kind of annoying though as residents won't really have much of a choice.

I've personally stopped paying my superintendent because he tattled on me to the board a couple of years ago over a window replacement I did without remember to get authorization from the board. Never forgave him. So even though he still sends Christmas cards, I don't tip. Why would I when he cost me close to $10,000 to remove the windows and buy new ones? How wasteful!

Comment

Originally posted by aslan View Post
      It's really up to you and how frugal you are and how much of your building's staff services you use. I've seen residents pay $20 to each of the staff, though $100 each may be more common. Often times the building will pool together the contributions from everyone and pay it in one lump sum. I've seen some buildings do this out of the operating budget, subject to board approval. That's kind of annoying though as residents won't really have much of a choice.

I've personally stopped paying my superintendent because he tattled on me to the board a couple of years ago over a window replacement I did without remember to get authorization from the board. Never forgave him. So even though he still sends Christmas cards, I don't tip. Why would I when he cost me close to $10,000 to remove the windows and buy new ones? How wasteful!
      Wow, did you call him out for tattling on you? Maybe he's just a chatty guy. Either way, I totally understand why you aren't tipping him any more.

Comment

I mostly prefer giving cash as a gift, as they can buy whatever they want.

Comment

Working...
        X